This recipe was sent to my Mom by my great aunt Frances many years ago. I've been making it since I was in my teens.
List of Ingredients
- 1 pound large Lima beans (or other white beans)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or more)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can tomatoes or 1 pint jar
- 1 teaspoons dry summer savory (other herbs may be substituted)
- Salt and Pepper
- Soak beans by prefered method. Cook beans with bay leaf until just tender. About 1 to 1 1/2 hours
- Meanwhile sauté onion, pepper, and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add tomatoes and Savory. Salt and pepper to taste and simmer until slightly thickened.
- Add vegetable mixture to beans and simmer to blend flavors.
This is very good served with cornbread and a salad.
Thyme would be a good addition instead of Savory.