Japanese Pan-Broiled Salmon
This is one of my favorite ways to prepare salmon. The recipe is from "Japanese Cooking a Simple Art" by Shizuo Tsuji.
List of Ingredients
- 4 salmon steaks, ¾-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Mirin
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 lemon quartered
PREV SECTION | NEXT SECTION
- In a large frying pan, heat a scant amount of oil and fry both sides of the salmon steaks for a few minutes over high heat. (This will produce a lot of smoke. Turn on the exhaust fan.) Discard oil in the pan, add the butter (in several pats), and as soon as the salmon is coated with butter, remove to individual plates with a pancake turner or spatula.
- Into the buttery liquid and glaze that remains in pan, add the rice vinegar, mirin and soy sauce. Stir over high heat about 1 minute or until it begins to get syrupy. Add chopped onion and stir just to until well mixed. Spoon this sauce generously over steaks and garnish with a wedge of lemon.