Italian Peppers, Stuffed
This is one I dreamed up to use my lovely Italian peppers. It has a rather Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean flavor.
List of Ingredients
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic (or more), minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup short grain rice
- salt to taste
- 1 can tomato sauce, 8 ounces
- olive oil
- Roast peppers over a flame or under the broiler until blistered. Place in a plastic bag or a bowl with a cover. When cool, peel off as much skin as you like. Don't worry if there is some left. Make slit the length of the pepper and remove seeds. Place in a baking dish.
- Cook onion ina little olive oil until translucent. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add beef and cook until it's no longer pink. Add seasonings. Salt to taste
- Meanwhile, partially cook rice in 1/2 cup water until water is absorbed.
- Add rice to meat mixture.
- Spoon meat into pepper shells. Shape pepper around meat.
- Gently pour tomato sauce around and over peppers. Add about 1/2 cup water. cover with foil.
Bake at 350' for 30 minutes. Uncover; baste with juices and bake 30 minutes, basting occasionally or until rice is tender.
For our British and Australian friends, that's tomato puree not ketchup.
I used peppers about 3" in diameter and 9-inches long but red or green bell peppers would be fine.