Chinese Chicken with Asparagus
I make this often when the asparagus is new on the market.
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast., cut in 1
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound asparagus, washed and slant cut
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 5-6 dried Chinese mushrooms or shiitake
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans*
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar**
- 1/2 teaspoon chile garlic sauce or tabasco to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Blend soy sauce, sherry, oil and cornstarch in a medium sized bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Soak mushrooms in warm water until soft. When softened cut off hard stems and discard; cut mushrooms into strips.
- Place asparagus, onions and mushrooms on a plate and set aside.
- Mince garlic and black beans together until fine. Set aside.
- Blend soy sauce, chile sauce, sugar, cornstarch and chicken stock.
- Heat wok or large skillet over high heat. When pan is hot add 2 tablespoons oil and stir in garlic and black bean mixture. Stir once and add chicken. Stir fry about 3 minutes until chicken is opaque. Don't overcook. It will cook more later. Remove from pan.
- Add remaining oil to pan. when oil is hot add asparagus, onion and mushrooms. Stir fry for 1 minute. Add water, cover and let cook 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan. Add sauce mixture and cook and stir until thickened.
Serve with rice.
*If black beans are unavailable use a teaspoon of black bean garlic sauce or a little extra soy sauce.
**If you're stock is made with chicken base or cubes, omit sugar