Blueberry Carrot Cake
Source of Recipe
Safeway Select by Sunset Publishing (Sept 2000)
List of Ingredients
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 cup vegetable oil
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups grated carrots (about 2 medium)
1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries -- not thawed
**WHITE CHOCOLATE FROSTING** -- optional
3 ounces white chocolate (preferably Lindt or
Bakers, chopped, or good quality chips)
4 ounces regular or light cream cheese -- at room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar -- sifted if lumpy
3 tablespoons regular or low-fat sour cream
1. Spray a 9- by 13-inch baking pan with cooking oil spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment or wax paper and spray the paper. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat oil and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed until combined. Mix at medium speed 2 minutes. Add carrots and mix on low to blend. Fold in blueberries. Batter will be stiff. Pour into prepared pan, smoothing the top.
3. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes or until top is golden and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes and invert onto rack. Pull off paper and cool.
4. To make frosting, melt chocolate in a small microwave-safe bowl at 50% power for 60 to 90 seconds or until smooth, stirring once. Or melt on stove in double boiler. Cool slightly. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and
powdered sugar until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Mix in chocolate; it will look grainy. Add sour cream and mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
5. Spread a thin layer of frosting over the top and sides of cake. Spread remainder to cover as smoothly as possible, Refrigerate until set.
6. Serve cake chilled or at room temperature.
Makes: 15 servings.
Per serving, unfrosted: 355 cal; 40% (143 cal) from fat; 4.1 g pro; 16 g
(2.2 g sat); 50 g carbo (1.5 g fiber); 333 mg sod; 43 mg chol.
"Safeway Select, September 2000"