Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
Source of Recipe
Good Housekeeping Magazines
List of Ingredients
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
1 tablespoon salad oil
2 3-pound broiler-fryers, cut up
2 medium-size celery stalks
1 large red pepper
1 medium-size onion
2 small red apples
6 slices rye bread without seeds
1 8-ounce package corn-bread stuffing
1 12-ounce bag frozen Italian green beans
1/2 cup dark seedless raisins
1. In 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat, in hot salad oil, cook half of chicken pieces with 1/2 teaspoon salt until chicken is golden; remove to medium bowl. In drippings, brown remaining chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt;
remove to bowl.
2. Meanwhile, slice celery; dice pepper; chop onion. Reserve half of an apple for garnish; dice remaining unpeeled apples. Cut rye bread into 1-inch pieces. In very large bowl, mix diced apples, rye bread, corn-bread stuffing, frozen beans, and raisins.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from skillet. In same skillet over medium heat, cook celery, red pepper, and onion until tender and lightly browned. Stir in 2 cups water; over high heat, heat to boiling. Pour hot mixture into stuffing mixture; toss to mix.
4. Spoon stuffing mixture into 15" by 10" glass baking dish or small roasting pan; tuck in chicken pieces. Pour any juices from chicken remaining in bowl over casserole. Cover baking dish with foil and bake 50 minutes or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced with a knife.
5. To serve, slice reserved half apple; use to garnish casserole.
Each serving: About 615 calories, 26 g fat, 128 mg cholesterol, 1020 mg sodium.
Source Good Housekeeping