Peppers Stuffed with Eggplant
Source of Recipe
Family Circle Cookbook - 1988 Annual
This is a deliciously satisfying meatless main dish.
List of Ingredients
4 sweet green or red peppers
seeded and cut lengthwise in half
1/4 c vegetable oil
1 large eggplant - peeled and cut in 1/2" dice
1 c mozzarella cheese
1 T finely chopped fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
4 T bread crumbs
8 slices mozzarella cheese
1) Preheat oven to moderate ( 375*F)
2) Cook the peppers in salted boiling water in a large saucepan for 10 minutes. Drain the peppers and reserve.
3) Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the eggplant, covered, until very tender, about 15 minutes.
4) Beat the eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Add the eggplant, diced chesse, basil, salt and pepper. Add enough bread crumbs to keep the mixture together.
5) Oil the baking dish large enough to hold the pepper halves. Place the pepper halves in the dish. Fill the peppers with the eggplant mixture.
6) Bake the peppers in the preheated moderate oven (375*F) for 20 minutes. Top with cheese slices and bake 10 minutes longer or until the cheese melts.
NOTE: You can garnish the peppers with sliced pitted ripe olives and serve them with steamed tipped green beans.
GREASELESS EGGPLANT COOKING:
Eggplant will absorb a lot of fat if you fry it in a skillet on top of the stove. For greaseless eggplant slices, brush the slices with olive oil (VERY LIGHTLY) and place on a cookie sheet. Broil 4-5 inches from the heat until tender.