Source of Recipe
Country Woman Magazine-Flyer
List of Ingredients
- 3 cups diced peeled turnips
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup crushed cornflakes
- 2 tablespoons grated chedder or Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Place the turnips, ater and sugar in a saucepan; simmer for 5-8 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside. In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and salt if desired. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes. Stir in turnips. Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with cornflakes and cheese if desired. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Garnish with parsley if desired.
One serving (prepared with margarine and skim milk without sald and chese) equals 128 calories, 187 mg sodium, 1 mg cholesterol, 18gm carbohydrate, 4gm protein, 5gm fat.
Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat