Asparagus Tea Sandwiches
List of Ingredients
54 medium asparagus spears
18 slices firm-textured bread
8 ounces whipped cream cheese, room temperature
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound prosciutto di Parma, thinly sliced
1. Cut asparagus spears to fit bread slices.
2. In a large saucepan fitted with steamer insert, bring 1 inch of water to a boil and
steam asparagus until just cooked, about 3 minutes.
3. Plunge asparagus into bowl of ice water. When chilled, remove and pat dry
with paper towels.
4. Spread bread slices with thin layer of cream cheese, pepper generously
and set aside.
5. Cut each prosciutto slice in half lengthwise, and spread with 1/4 teaspoon
or more of mustard. Starting with tip, roll asparagus in prosciutto, spiraling
downward as you go. Repeat with each spear.
6. Cover 9 bread slices with 6 wrapped spears each, then top with remaining slices. With
a serrated knife, trim crusts. Cut each sandwich in half across spears. Cover with
plastic wrap until ready to serve.