Angelic Chocolate Cupcakes
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1. Heat oven to 350F.
2. Into medium-size bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and
3. In a large bowl, beat together the egg whites and cream of tartar on
medium-high speed until frothy peaks form. Gradually beat in the sugar,
1 tablespoon at a time, until shiny stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes.
4. Sift half of the flour mixture over beaten egg whites; gently fold
in. Repeat 2 more times, folding in the remaining flour mixture until
incorporated. Spoon into large pastry bag without a tip on end. Or spoon
into large plastic food-storage bag; snip off one corner.
5. Pipe angel food batter up to tops of indentations in two 12-cup mini
6. Bake in 350° oven until cupcakes are dry to the touch and puffy, 15
to 20 minutes. Transfer pans to wire racks; let cupcakes cool in pans.
Gently pull edge of cupcakes from sides of cups. Remove cupcakes and
transfer to wire rack; let cool completely.
7. Topping: Heat together the chocolate chips and heavy cream in a
microwave-safe bowl at high power for 1 minute. Or in a small saucepan,
heat together the chocolate chips and heavy cream over low heat. Stir
until mixture is smooth, using whisk, if necessary.
8. Carefully dip tops of cupcakes into topping, scraping off excess. Set
mini cupcakes upright on waxed paper. Let stand until set. Can be kept
refrigerated in airtight container for up to 1 week. Yield: 24
Nutritional Value Per Serving: 50 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated), 1 g
protein, 9 g carbohydrates, 12 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol.