Fabergé Egg Cake
Source of Recipe
Serves 16 Time: About 3 hr, depending on skill (plus 5 hr setting time)
Planning Tip: Can be assembled up to 1 day ahead. Store covered at room temperature.
List of Ingredients
2 frozen poundcakes (16 oz each), unthawed
2 tubs (16 oz each) vanilla frosting
Green and red liquid food color
You’ll also need: flexible tape measure (not metal)
fine artist’s paintbrush
3 disposable plastic pastry bags*
1 each #2, #3 and #5 plain round piping tips*
1 yd ribbon, about 12 in. made into a bow
1. Have ready a rimmed baking sheet.
2. With a sharp knife, trim off rounded top of each cake (save for another use). Trim corners and shave edges off top until each is shaped like half an egg. Cut a thin long slice from top of one half (when inverted this will be base of bottom half of egg). Set each half flat-side down on a wire rack over baking sheet.
3. Heat 11/4 cups frosting in microwave on high 25 seconds or until almost melted. Stir to melt completely, then pour over cakes to cover. Let set about 5 minutes. Scrape crumb-free frosting from sheet back into container used to microwave. Melt and pour over cakes again. Let set at least 30 minutes.
4. Using tape measure as a guide, mark diagonal lines 1 in. apart on cakes with tip of a knife. Repeat in other direction to make diamonds.
5. Stir 1/4 tsp water into 1 tsp frosting. Tint green with food color. Paint 3 leaves with paintbrush in alternate diamonds (see photo, above). Let dry 20 minutes.
6. Scrape 1/3 cup white frosting into pastry bag fitted with #3 piping tip. Pipe on diamond outlines.
7. Tint 1/4 cup frosting pale pink with red food color. Scrape into bag fitted with #2 tip; pipe small spirals into roses in diamonds with leaves.
8. Tint 1/4 cup frosting a deeper pink; scrape into bag with #5 tip. Pipe a dot where white lines cross. Let dry at least 4 hours or overnight.
9. Invert cake with trimmed base on serving plate. Spread top with all but 2 Tbsp remaining frosting. Top with other cake. Securing ribbon with frosting if needed, tie around middle of egg, having ends meet on center front. Glue on bow with frosting where ends of ribbon meet.
*Can be found in the cake-decorating section of some supermarkets as well as in crafts and party-supply stores.