Fiesta Chicken and Rice
Source of Recipe
Recipe created by David Joachim
Prep Time:15 min
Cook Time:19 min to 20 min
List of Ingredients
2 1/4 cups (540mL) reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup (240mL) long-grain white rice
3 tsp (15mL) Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend
1 1/4 lbs (600g) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 - 4)
1 16 Oz. (454g) jar (approximately 1 1/2 cups) mild chunky salsa
1/2 cup (120mL) shredded reduced-fat Cheddar-Jack cheese
1. Bring 2 cups (480mL) of the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over
2. Stir in the rice and 1 tsp of the Mrs. Dash® Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until liquid
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F. Sprinkle remaining 2 tsp Mrs. Dash®
Extra Spicy Seasoning Blend over chicken.
4. Coat a nonstick ovenproof skillet with cooking spray and heat over
medium-high heat. When smoking hot, add the chicken and cook until lightly
browned all over, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
5. Pour salsa over and around chicken, shaking pan to evenly distribute.
Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until chicken is just slightly
pink in center (about 150°F on an instant read thermometer), 8 to 10
6. Remove chicken to a plate and stir cooked rice and remaining 1/4 cup
chicken broth into salsa pan.
7. Put chicken over rice and sprinkle with cheese. Cover and bake until
cheese melts and chicken is no longer pink in center (160°F), 6 to 8