- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a small sauxepan, melt the butter; stir in the flour; 1/4 tsp. salt; 1/8 tsp. pepper; and dried basil if using.
- Add milk all at once. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 more minute. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil if using.
- Spray four 8-10 oz. round baking dishes or 6 oz. custard cups with non stick cooking spray.
- To assemble: spoon about 2 tbls. basil sauce into EACH dish. Gently break an egg into the center of each dish; season with salt & pepper. Spoon remaining sauce evenly over the eggs. Bake for 18-20 minutes until egg is set.
- Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand until cheese melts. Garnish with snipped basil, if desired.
Low Carb tip: substitute 2/3 c. heavy cream and 1/3 c. water for the milk. Carb count using cream plus a full 1/2 oz of mozzarella = 6 carbs