Relleno Chicken Breasts
If you love the taste of Tex-Mex, this one's for you!
List of Ingredients
- 6 medium (about 4 oz. each) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/3 c. cornmeal
- 1/2 package taco seasoning (1 1/4 oz.pkg.) about 2 tbls.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (4 oz.) whole green chile peppers, rinsed, seeded & cut in half lengthwise
- 2 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, cut into six 2x1/2 inch strips
- 2 tbls snipped cilantro or parsley
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 (8 oz.) bottle of taco sauce
- 2 oz. cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Rinse chicken; pat dry. Place each breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/8 inch thickness. Remove plastic.
- In a bowl combine cornmeal and seasoning mix. Place the egg in another bowl.
- For each roll, place 1 chile pepper strip near the edge on a chicken piece. Place 1 cheese strip on top of the chile. Sprinkle with some of the cilantro and peppers. Fold sides of chicken. Roll up, starting from edge with cheese. Repeat to make 6 rolls.
- Dip rolls into egg, then into the cornmeal mixture. Place rolls, seam side down in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 375° oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Heat taco sauce. Sprinkle chicken with grated cheese and serve with sauce.
For all of your Low Carb folks out there, this recipe registers 11 carbs per serving.