Hot and Sour Soup
If you're like me, you never get enough Hot and Sour soup at Oriental resturants, so here is a tasty version that can be made easily at home.
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 chicken breast - deboned, and skinless
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bouillon cubes
- 4 fresh or about 4 oz. black mushrooms
- 4 oz. bamboo shoots, julienned
- 1/2 block FIRM tofu
- 4 tbls. corn starch
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 18 - 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 1 tbls. hot chili oil
- soy sauce
- chopped green onions
- If using dried mushrooms, cover with very hot water for about 20 minutes to rehydrate. Remove stems and cut mushrooms into julienne strips. Set aside.
- Julienne chicken breast and cook in hot oil until white. Drain
- Set aside about 1/2 c. of broth and cornstarch.
- Combine remaining broth and bouillon and heat to dissolve bouillion. Then add all but the broth and cornstarch.
- Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch and 1/2 c. broth, stir well and then add to soup to thicken slightly.
- Add enough soy sauce to give soup a nice color.
- Serve with a sprinkling of green onions.
This is a recipe that was given to me by a friend in Boulder, CO. I make a few small adjustments to meet my personal taste. I like it a little hotter, so I add a bit of cayenne pepper and I buy dried shitake mushrooms in bulk, so I always have them on hand. I also usually use more chicken and tofu than called for. Remember a recipe is a place to start... then adjust it to your preferences.