Three Layer Cornbread
This is a different kind of cornbread, from the Tassajara Bread Book. It makes a wheat layer on the bottom, corn layer on the top, and a custard-y layer in the middle, and it doesn't really need butter. This was one of my daughter's 4H displays for her whole grains project, and it won a Best of Show at our county fair.
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup cornmeal -- (coarse ground works best)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup honey (we like to use 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 cups milk
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients and mix together. Mixture will be quite watery.
- Pour into greased 9" square pan or a cast iron skillet.
- Bake 50 minutes at 350° or until top is springy when touched.