Red Cabbage Braised w/ Vinegar & Bacon
Source of Recipe
"The New Basics Cookbook"
The best red cabbage I have ever had. Really easy and delicious, and you can heat it up later without losing any flavor!
List of Ingredients
- 1 lb. bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 c. chopped onion
- 1 head red cabbage (about 3 lbs.), cored and finely slivered
- 3 Granny Smith, or other tart apple, cored and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 c. golden raisins
- 3/4 c. dry red wine
- 3/4 c. red wine vinegar
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 2 t. caraway seeds
- 1 t. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. salt
- Cook the bacon in a large deep skillet or dutch oven over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook until wilted, 10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Cover the skillet, and cook over medium heat for 1 ¼ hours, stirring occasionally. If necessary, add a bit more liquid. Adjust the seasonings and serve hot.