Family Star Ring
Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don's 2009 Collection
Servings: 16 Yield: 1 ring Notes: *To save up to 50% rising time, use Rapid Rise Yeast. Follow above directions except reduce first rise; cover kneaded dough and let rest on board 10 minutes. Proceed with recipe. Categories: Appetizers/ Snacks, Braids and Wreaths
List of Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons lemon peel
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup lowfat milk
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup margarine
2 eggs, at room temperature
OR (for low-cholesterol baking substitute)
3 egg whites
1 package chopped dates or pitted dates, snipped
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Confectioners' sugar icing, optional
1. In large bowl mix 2 cups flour, undissolved yeast, sugar, lemon peel and salt.
2. Heat milk, water and margarine until hot to touch (125º to 130ºF). Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1 cup flour; beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough additional flour to make stiff dough.
3. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in bowl coated with cooking spray; spray top of dough with cooking spray. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.*
4. Prepare Date-Nut Filling: Combine (8-ounce) package chopped dates (snipped) and water in saucepan over medium heat. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Stir in ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and chopped, toasted pecans.
5. Punch dough down. On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 18 × 15-inch rectangle. Spread filling evenly on dough, leaving 1/2-inch border at long edges. Roll up from long side as for jelly roll; pinch seam to seal. Join ends to form ring; pinch to seal. Place in 10-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray. Spray top of dough with cooking spray. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size, about 35 to 45 minutes.
6. To make star: With sharp knife, make 8 V-shaped cuts in top of ring. Make each "V" 1/2-inch deep, 1-inch at wide end and 2-inches long with points extending to outer edge of ring.
7. Bake at 350ºF for 55 to 60 minutes, until done. Cover with foil after 35 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Frost with icing, if desired.