Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don's 2008 Collection
Notes: Dough can be prepared in all-size bread machines.
Categories: Appetizers/ Snacks, Bread Machine Recipes,
List of Ingredients
1 12 ounce jar giardiniera (12 to 15 1/2-ounce), drained and chopped, if necessary
1 1/2 cups halved pitted olives (combination of stuffed green, KalamataŚ and/or ripe)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons drained capers
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 egg white, lightly beaten
3/4 pound assorted sliced deli meats (salami, ham or mortadella)
1/2 pound sliced Provolone or Mozzarella cheese
1. To make dough: Measure all dough ingredients into bread machine pan in the order suggested by manufacturer. Process on dough/manual cycle.
2. To make Olive Salad: In glass or plastic bowl, combine all olive salad ingredients; cover and refrigerate.
3. To make bread: When cycle is complete, remove dough to floured surface. If necessary, knead in enough flour to make dough easy to handle; form into smooth ball. Place on greased baking pan; flatten to 7-inch circle. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until almost doubled in size, about 30 to 45 minutes.
4. Brush top with egg white; sprinkle with sesame seed. Bake at 400║F for 20 to 25 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack. Makes 1 large sandwich (6 servings).
5. To assemble sandwich: Split loaf in half horizontally. Place seeded half of loaf, cut side up, on work surface. Top with half of Olive Salad, spreading to within 1 inch of edge. (Reserve remaining salad to serve as relish or for later use, as desired.) Layer meat and cheese over Olive Salad; close sandwich. To serve, turn sandwich seeded side up; cut into 6 wedges.