Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don's 2008 Collection
Yield: 16 bars
Categories: Appetizers/ Snacks, Breakfast Squares and Bars
Recipe Link: RecipeCircus.com/recipes/MasterChefDon
List of Ingredients
3/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups old-fashioned or quick cooking oats, uncooked
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 21-ounce can cherry filling and topping
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1. In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Combine flour, oats and baking soda, Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; mix on low speed until crumbly.
2. Spread two-thirds of the oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 13 × 9 × 2-inch baking pan. Press down to make a firm layer.
3. In an electric blender or food processor container, purée cherry filling until smooth. Pour puréed cherry filling into a medium saucepan. Combine granulated sugar and cornstarch; stir into cherry filling. Cook. stirring constantly, over low heat until mixture is thick and bubbly. Stir in almond extract. Pour cherry mixture over oat layer;spread evenly.
4. Top with remaining oat mixture.
5. Bake in a preheated 325º oven 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool before cutting.
Serving size: 1 (2-inch) piece