Fruit n' Nut Ring
Source of Recipe
Master Chef Don's 2008 Collection
Yield: 2 rings
Baking Time: 25 minutes
Notes: *To use Rapid Rise Yeast, follow above directions except reduce first rest to 10 minutes.
To Bake Without Refrigeration: Shape dough as directed. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place for 30 minutes or until indentation remains when finger is pressed lightly near the edge of dough. Bake as directed.
Categories: Appetizers/ Snacks, Breads
List of Ingredients
5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (5 1/2 to 6 cups), reserve 1/4 cup for rolling dough
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 packages Active Dry or Rapid Rise Yeast
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 cup butter or margarine (2 sticks)
2 eggs, at room temperature
9 tablespoons apricot preserves
1 1/2 cups chopped or pitted dates, snipped
3/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, blanched slivered
3/4 cup coconut
1. In large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Heat milk, water and butter to 120º to 130ºF; butter does not need to melt. Gradually add to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat at high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. With spoon, stir in enough additional flour to make stiff dough. Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap, let rest 20 minutes.
2. Sprinkle 1/4 cup flour on board; turn dough out onto board. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces. Roll one to 12 × 8-inch rectangle; spread with 3 tablespoons apricot preserves. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup dates, 1/4 cup almonds and 1/4 cup coconut. Roll up from long side as for jelly roll. Pinch seam to seal.
3. Cut roll into 12 slices. On greased baking sheet, arrange slices, slightly overlapping, in ring shape. Repeat with remaining 2 dough pieces. Cover loosely with greased plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Makes 2 rings.
4. When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator. Uncover dough carefully. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Bake at 375ºF for 25 minutes or until done. Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.