Wild Mushroom Stuffing
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 pound dried mushrooms (chanterelles, morels, black trumpets, porcini, or a mixed blend)
- 12 cups 1-inch bread cubes (Sourdough, Country White or Italian)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 ribs celery, diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, chanterelles, morels, porcini, or any combination)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh summer savory
Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Heat the stock in a medium stockpan just until hot. Place the dried mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with the hot stock. Let the mushrooms rehydrate for 25 minutes and drain, reserving the liquid.
Evenly layer the bread cubes on a baking sheet. Dry the bread for 40 to 50 minutes, rotating the sheet 180 degrees halfway through cooking. After drying, place bread in a large mixing bowl.
Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Strain the stock to remove any sediment. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together stock, half-and-half and eggs. Add bread and toss lightly to coat. Set aside.
In a large heavy-bottomed saute pan or skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the onions and celery with salt and pepper until soft, about 5 minutes, and remove. Add butter to the pan and saute the fresh mushrooms with salt and pepper until most of the liquid has cooked out, about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the rehydrated mushrooms and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and herbs, season with salt and pepper, and cook for about 1 more minute. Combine the mushroom and onion mixtures with the bread mixture and stir gently to combine. Try not to break the bread into small pieces.
Spray a 12 x 16-inch baking dish or pan with non-stick cooking spray, or rub with butter and evenly spread the stuffing in the pan. Cook the stuffing for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown. Let the stuffing rest for 5 minutes before serving.
-- makes ten to twelve servings --