Chili and Potatoes
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 to 1 lb gr. beef (use less if you like it less meaty)
- 1 lg onion, chopped
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1tsp seasoning salt
- 1 can mushrooms
- 1 sm can whole tomatoes
- 1 lg can tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans or equivilant made from dried beans, soaked and cooked
- 3 tbsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 1 potato for each person
- Preheat oven to 350. Wash and scrub potatoes. Place in oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- Brown ground beef in large saucepan (or dutchoven). Add in onion, seasoning salt, and garlic. Fry until onions are soft.
- Add mushrooms, with juice. Cook for a bit until they soften. (about 3-4 min)
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and kidney beans. Heat thoroughly.
- If your kids prefer their chili bland - now is the time to set some aside!
- Add chili powder. Simmer until potatoes are fully cooked.
If your kids are like mine - they like their chili bland! more like spaghetti sauce than chili. Set some aside for them, before adding the chili powder.
Put one potato or half of a potato on each person's plate. Add butter and/or salt. Then top with chili. This is great served with corn bread! A very filling and satisfying meal!