- In a LARGE mixer bowl beat margarine or butter and shortening with eletric mixer till combined. Add sugar; beat on medium high speed until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla; beat well.
- In another bowl combine flour, baking powder, soda ; add to egg yolks mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Stir in coconut and chopped pecans.
- Wash beater thoroughly and dry.
- In a small mixer bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Stir about a third of the whites in cake batter to lighten. Fold in remaining whites.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch pans. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- When cool spread the top of one cake layer with cream cheese pecan frosting. Top with another layer, frost, and top with the last layer. Frost top and sides of cake. If desired decorat cake with pecan halves. Keep chilled until serving time. Store cake, covered in refrigerater. 14 servings.
- CREAM CHEESE PECAN FROSTING:(makes 2 cups)
- In a small Mixer bowl beat cream cheese, margarine or butter, and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in pecans.( For 13x9" cake , cut frosting ingredient amounts in half)
Can make cake in a 13x9x2" pan. Bale 35-40 minutes or until done. Frost with 1/2 the frosting recipe. Cover cake and keep in refrigerator.