Best Ever Carrot Cake
Preparation time: 35 min. makes a good holiday cake.
Baking time: about 1 hour
Oven temp.: 375 degrees
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 can (8oz.) crushed pineapple
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 (8oz.) package cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar (may take more or less to get the right spreading consistancy)
- 1 tsp. coconut flavoring
- Beat together corn oil, sugar and eggs until well combined.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.
- Add to egg-sugar mixture, mixing well.
- Drain the pineapple well.
- Add carrots, walnuts and pineapple to mixture. Blend to mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9 or 10-inch cake pan (tube pan)
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 1 hour or until a pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool on a rack. Prepare Frosting.
- Cream together cream cheese, sugar and coconut extract, blending well.
- Split cake into 2 layers (line 2 toothpicks up-one in each layer and after you frost them, line the toothpicks back after you frost between the layer, this is in case you cut thru the cake crooked, the cake will not look awful.)
- Cover cake with frosting and cover top and sides with coconut.