Danish Fruit Cake
Good at Christmas
Preheat oven; 350 degrees
Baking time; 1 hour and 20 minutes
List of Ingredients
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening or margarine
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 bottle maraschino cherries
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated orang rind (preferably fresh)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 packages chopped Dates
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated orange rind.
- 1 cup coconut
- Cream shortening/margarine and sugar.Add eggs; add orange juice and rind; add flour, salt and soda, alternately with buttermilk. Mix well.
- Stir in vanilla, nuts and cherries with a spoon.
- Pour batter in a greased and floured Tube pan.
- Bake 1 hour 20 minutes. Punch holes in top of cake.
- SAUCE: To be poured over hot cake.
- While cake is hot, pour a sauce made of 1 cup sugar, 1 cup orange juice and grated orange rind. Rub orange rind and sugar together and add the juice. Let come to a boil, remove from heat and add the coconut.
- while just warm remove form pan, onto a cake plate. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.