Cream Puffs (Sweet or Savory)
Preheat oven 400 degrees
List of Ingredients
- 1 cup all-purpose Flour
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup Margarine
- 1 cup water
- 4 eggs
- Food Coloring: green or red. ( for Holidays)
- FILLING: your choice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease two cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and salt together; set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt margarine in water; add food coloring; bring to a boil. To the hot liquid, add flour mixture all at once. Stir quickly until mixture gathers together and forms a ball that will not separate.
- Remove from heat; set aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs to cooked mixture, one at a time, beating the mixture well after each egg is completely incorporated; repeat 3 times.
- Make sure mixture is smooth when beating process is completed.
- Extrude dough from a pastry bag, drop by spoonfuls or from a cookie scoop onto cookie sheets.
- Bake about 30 minutes until golden brown and "crusty" and the top flakes with a fork.
- Punch several holes in each pastry using the tines of a cooking fork.
- Turn oven off; allow puffs to cool down in the warm oven, about 10 minutes. When using an electric range, cock oven door to allow excess heat to escape. Steam will escape from pastry and help to prevent pastry from collapsing when removed from oven.
- When completely cooled, cut off top and remove excess dough inside.
- Fill with sweet( such as pudding) or Savory filling---your choice of recipe--no more than 1 hour before serving. Keep refrigerated.