- Rince fresh spinach well, drain. Tear into small pieces.
- Saute onions in butter in a skillet until soft but now brown.
- Put 1/2 potatoes and onions in a greased ovenproof oblong dish. Top with spinach and then add the other 1/2 potatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper in between layers.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.
- Mix cream or milk with thyme. Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees
- Bake another 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft and cheese on top is melted
This can be prepared without the spinach, if desired.