German Chocolate Cake
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1 (4 oz.) pkg. German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 c. boiling water
- 1 c. butter
- 2 c. sugar
- 4 eggs, divided
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2-1/4 c. sifted flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 c. buttermilk
- 4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt chocolate in boiling water. Cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in vanilla and chocolate.
- Sift flour with soda and salt; add alternately with buttermilk to chocolate mixture, beating after each addition until smooth. Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Pour into three 8 inch layer cake pans, lined on bottoms with paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes. Cool.
- FILLING:1 c. sugar 1 T. flour1 c. evaporated milk 3 slightly beaten egg yolks1/2 stick butter 1 1/2 c. chopped nuts1 t. vanillaCombine sugar, flour, milk, egg yolks and butter. Mix and cook until thick. Add coconut, nuts and vanilla; mix well. Cool and spread between layers of the cake and on the top.
- FROSTING:2 squares unsweetened chocolate 2 T. butter2 c. powdered sugar 1/8 t. salt1/4 c. milk 1 t. vanillaMelt chocolate and butter over hot water. Add powdered sugar, salt, milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth. Frost the sides of the cake.