Hot Dog Relish
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 12 lb. unpeeled cucumbers
- 12 med. onions
- 4 green peppers
- 1/2 c. pickling salt
- 5 c. sugar
- 1 qt. vinegar
- 12 whole cloves
- 1 T. mustard seed
- 2 T. turmeric
- green food coloring if desired
- Grind cucumbers, onions and green peppers up; add pickling salt and let set overnight.
- The next morning drain this mixture in a colander very well.
- In a large kettle mix together sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Tie in a cloth cloves and mustard seed. Add this to the vinegar; add turmeric and bring to a boil. Add ground up mixture and boil 20 minutes. Add green food coloring if desired.
- Put relish in hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- To make more juice add more sugar and vinegar.