Chicken & Dumplings
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 2 whole store-bought deli roasted chickens
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 (14 oz.) pkg. shredded carrots
- 1 (14 oz.) pkg. celery sticks, chopped
- 6 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 2 t. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 (16.3 oz.) container refrigerated buttermilk biscuit dough
- 1 can chicken gravy
- Remove skin and bones from chickens; shred meat into large pieces. Set aside.
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots and celery. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add broth, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While stew simmers, prepare dumplings. On a flour-dusted surface, roll each biscuit 1/4 inch thick. With a pizza cutter, cut biscuits into 1-inch square chunks. Set aside.
- Skim off any scum that has risen to surface of soup. Stir in chicken gravy. Stir in dumplings, a few at a time. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and simmer for 10 minutes more. Serve.