PINEAPPLE RIGHT SIDE UP CAKE
Source of Recipe
12 servings, 2 POINTS each
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 8oz can crushed pineapple, drain and reserve juice
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup egg substitute (i.e. Egg Beaters) or 4 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9" square pan with cooking spray. Stir together the applesauce, reserved pineapple juice, milk, egg substitute, and vanilla. Combine flour, white sugar and baking powder. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Spread batter in the pan. Sprinkle the top of the batter with crushed pineapple. Sprinkle brown sugar over the pineapple. Bake for 30 minutes until a toothpick tests clean. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.
- Just the cake without the pineapple and topping might make a nice light cake to use for a strawberry shortcake. Try flavoring it with almond extract instead of vanilla.