Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
1 large yellow onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
8 ounces button mushrooms, halved
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
4 strips center-cut bacon, divided
5 tablespoons ketchup, divided
1/4 cup dill pickle relish
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat (see Tip)
2 pounds lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray (or see Loaf Pan Variation).
2. Pulse onion, mushrooms and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped. (Or finely chop them with a knife.)
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
4. Finely chop 2 slices bacon and add to the bowl with the vegetables. Add 3 tablespoons ketchup, relish and Worcestershire; stir to combine.
5. Stir in egg and breadcrumbs.
6. Add ground beef and with clean hands gently knead the vegetable mixture into the meat; do not overmix.
7. Pat the meat mixture into a loaf shape (about 12 by 5 inches) on the prepared baking sheet.
8. Spread the remaining 2 tablespoons ketchup on top. Sprinkle cheese down the middle and place the remaining 2 slices of bacon on each side of the cheese.
9. Bake the meatloaf until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, about 45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.