Tom Thumb Bars
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1/2c. shortening
- 1/2t. salt
- 1/2c. packed dark brown sugar
- 1c. all purpose flour
- 1t. vanilla
- 2T. all purpose flour
- 1/2t. baking powder
- 1 1/2 c. coconut
- 1c. chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 325. Grease a 9x13 baking pan. In med. bowl, mix together shortening and 1/2c. of brown sugar until smooth.
- Stir in 1c. flour and salt until well blended. Press into prepared pan.
- Bake the crust for 15 mins. or until delicately browned. After removing crust from oven, increase heat to 350.
- Make the filling while crust is baking. In med. bowl, stir together 1c. brown sugar, baking powder, 2T. flour until well blended.
- Mix in eggs, vanilla, beating until thick and foamy. Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Spread over warm crust. Bake 25 mins. or until bars are lightly browned and puffy.
- Cool completely. Cut into small bars.
- Makes: 36 bar cookies