Source of Recipe
1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. baking soda
3 Tbsp. solid vegetable shortening OR unsalted margarine
3/4 c. buttermilk OR 1 c. heavy cream
1 c. all-purpose flour--for shaping biscuits
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted
1. Heat oven to 475º. Spray an 8" baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda until blended. Cut in shortening with pastry blender, or work it with fingertips until lumps are no larger than small peas.
3. Stir in buttermilk (or cream) and let stand for 2-3 minutes. (dough will be very wet)
4. Pour remaining 1 cup all-purpose flour onto a plate. Flour hands well. Scoop up about 2 tablespoons dough and scrape it onto the flour. Sprinkle more flour onto the dough. Gently pick up clump of dough and shape into a soft round by passing it from hand to hand, shaking off excess flour. Place in middle of prepared pan. Shape 9 more biscuits this way.
5. Brush tops with melted butter. Bake 16-18 minutes or until tops are evenly brown.