Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1 lb. celery
- 1 1/2 lb. sweet onions
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb. tomatoes, cored
- 1 lb. green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2lb. turnips, cubed
- 2T. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 gallon water
- Preheat oven to 450. Remove leaves and tender inner parts of celery and set aside.
- Toss onions, carrots, tomatoes, bell pepper and turnips with olive oil.
- Place vegetables in a roasting pan and place in preheated oven.
- Stir the vegetables every 15 mins. Cook until all of the vegetables have browned and the onions start to caramelize, this will take over 1 hour.
- Put the browned veggies, celery, garlic, cloves, bay leaf, peppercorns, parsley and water into large stock pot.
- Bring to a full boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cook uncovered until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour broth through colander, catching the broth in a large bowl. The liquid caught is your broth.
- It can be used immediately or stored for later use. Although you no longer need the veggies, they are delicious to eat hot or cold.
- Makes: 2 qts.