Wine-Simmered Beef and Vegetables
Source of Recipe
Flavor Makers Cookbook
List of Ingredients
- 1 1/2 to 2 lb. beef round steak
- 6T. all purpose flour, divided
- 1/2t. salt
- 1/4t. pepper
- 3T. Crisco oil
- 1 med. onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 med. green pepper, cored, seeded and sliced into rings
- 2/3c. julienned carrot strips
- 1/2t. dried basil
- 1/2t. dried marjoram
- 2/3c. white wine
- 2/3c. cold water
- 1/2t. instant beef bouillon granules
- Trim bone and fat from beef. Pound beef with meat mallet. Cut into serving size pieces. Set aside.
- Mix 4T. flour, salt and pepper in large plastic food storage bag. Add beef. Shake to coat.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add beef and any remaining flour mixture.
- Brown over med. high heat. Layer onion, green pepper and carrots over beef.
- Sprinkle with basil and marjoram. Add wine. Heat to boiling.
- Cover. Reduce heat. Simmer about 1 hr. or until beef is tender.
- Transfer beef and vegetables to serving platter, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Place cold water in 1 cup measure or small bowl. Blend in remaining 2T. flour. Stir flour mixture into drippings in skillet.
- Stir in bouillon granules. Cook over med. high heat stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Serve with meat and vegetables.
- Makes: 4-6 servings.