Slow-Cooked Pot Roast and Vegetables
Source of Recipe
Steak your claim on a meat-and-potatoes meal slow-cooked with a homey spin.
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 lb. boneless beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick), cut into serving-sized pieces
4 medium potatoes, peeled, each cut into 6 pieces
4 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 bay leaf
1 3/4 cups ProgressoŽ beef flavored broth (from 32-oz. carton)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. In shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper; mix well. Add round steak pieces to flour mixture; turn to coat both sides.
2. Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add beef; cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from skillet; cover to keep warm.
3. In 3 1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, combine potatoes, carrots and onion; mix well. Add bay leaf. Place browned beef over vegetables.
4. In small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over beef. Cover; cook at low setting for 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender.
5. With slotted spoon, remove beef and vegetables from slow cooker; place on serving platter. Cover to keep warm.
6. Pour liquid into medium saucepan; discard bay leaf. In small bowl, combine remaining broth and cornstarch; blend until smooth. Add to liquid in saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Serve sauce with beef and vegetables.