Banana Nut Cake with Whipped Cream Frost
Source of Recipe
This is my most requested cake for birthdays in our family.It came from an old Betty Crocker dessert cookbook published in 1977. (if you use the banana slices before to put a little lemon juice on them so they don't turn brown)
List of Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup shortening
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 banana, sliced (to garnish)
2/3 cup finely chopped pecans or nuts, of choice
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons granulated sugar or confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350*.
2. Grease and flour oblong pan, 9x13x2 inches, or three 8-inch or two 9-inch round layer pans.
3. Measure all ingredients except frosting into large mixing bowl.
4. Blend 1/2 on low speed, scaping bowl constantly.
5. Beat 3 minutes on high speed scraping bowl occasionally.
6. Pour batter into pan (s).
7. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, oblong 45 to 50 minutes, layers 35 to 40 minutes.
9. Before serving frost cake with whip cream frosting, and garnish with banana slices.
10. WHIP CREAM FROSTING: In a chilled bowl beat 1 cup chilled whipping cream and 3 tsps.
12. Fold in 1 tsp vanilla.
13. Yields 2 cups.