Chocolate Mud Cake
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 1c. all purpose flour
- 2t. baking powder
- 6T. butter
- 2oz. semisweet chocolate or 1/3c. chocolate chips
- 2/3 plus 1/3c. sugar
- 3T. plus 1/3c. dutch processed cocoa
- 1T. vanilla
- 1/4t. salt
- 1/3c. milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3c. brown sugar
- 1 1/2c. hot water
- whipped cream or ice cream
- Coat the inside of a 2 1/2-5 qt. slow cooker with cooking spray.
- The cooking time and final appearance will vary depending on you crock's size.
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave or over a pan of simmering water and mix well.
- Whisk in the 2/3c. of sugar, 3T. cocoa, vanilla, salt, milk and egg yolk.
- Add the flour mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour the batter into the slow cooker and spread it evenly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar, cocoa and hot water until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the mixture over the batter in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1-2 hours depending on the size of the crock pot.
- Even when done, the cake will be very moist and floating on a layer of molten chocolate.
- But you'll know it's ready when nearly all of the cake is set and the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pot.
- As you check, try not to let the condensed steam from the lid drip onto the cake.
- When it's done, turn off the power and remove lid. Let it cool for 25 minutes.
- Serve it in bowls topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
- Makes: 6-8 servings