Source of Recipe
Hillybilly Cookin II
Mountain folks don's use the same words fur things ever'wheres. Like in the Cumberland they say Pappy. Maybe in the Smokies or Unakas they say Paw. So, I'm passin on sayins I heard in diff'rent places.
List of Ingredients
- Waterspour (flashflood) They was a waterspout over in Thomson's holler.
- Warsh (Wash) Miz Haley asts fifty cents to warsh an' arn (iron).
- Dagarn (Andiron) Put a back log on the dogarn.
- Wrench (Rinse) You wrench clothes after you warsh 'em.
- Toenail (Ptomaine) Miz Lucy tuk sick with toenail pisonin.
- System (cistern) Aunt Liza's system dried up.
- Farr (Fire) Let's build a farr in the farrplace.
- Vigrus (Vicious) Mister, is your dog vigrus?
- Beal (boil) Cyored (cured) the beal with a poke root poultice.
- Quote (Make a sound) Heared a gobbler quotin on the ridge.
- Hep (help) Hep yourself
- Damsels (Damson plums) We preserved damsels t'day.
- Creeses. You pick green creeses fur sallet.
- Meanyu. Let's meanyu go somewheres.( Me and you)
- Poteracks (guinea fowls) You want any poterack eggs t'day?
- Ague-r (chills) He's down with the aguer.
- Simons (salmon) Mister Briggs sells canned simons at his store.
- Uplin block (Horse mounting block) Wimmen has to use an uplin block to mount a horse.
- Tard (tired) I'm too tard to go fur. Let's make a farr.
- Retch (reach) Tetch (touch) It you kin tetch hit, fetch hit.