Beer Can Chicken
Source of Recipe
Barbecue & Beverage
List of Ingredients
- 1 whole broiler chicken
- 1 (12 oz) can of beer, 3/4 full
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2T. lemon zest
- 1T. chopped cilantro
- 1t. chili powder
- 2t. hot sauce
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Rinse chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Rub chicken inside and outside with a light coating of olive oil. Salt and pepper inside and out.
- Now for the fun part: Open a can of beer-- it must be a can, not a bottle--and drain about 3 oz. of beer, leaving the can 3/4 full. (We're sure you can find a good use for the other 1/4 can of beer)
- Drop garlic cloves into the can of beer. Add lemon zest, cilantro, chili powder and hot sauce.
- Gingerly swirl the can to mix the ingredients. Place large opening of chicken over the open end of the beer can. The chicken drumsticks go on the bottom, so the chicken will look like it's sitting on a chair.
- Pre-heat grill to medium-high. Place the chicken on a can in a shallow metal pan or foil tray and place on the grill.
- Grill approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on size of bird, until a meat thermometer registers 160-170 degrees in the thickest part of the breast.
- Remove chicken from grill and place, still upright on the can, on a platter or cutting board.
- Cover with foil and let rest for 10 mins. It's easier to carve the chicken if it is left on the beer can for carving.
- Serves: 6