Beef Stew with Vegetables
Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
- 2T. all purpose flour
- 1 lb. beef chuck or pork shoulder roast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2T. cooking oil
- 2c. celery, cut into 2 inch pieces (2 stalks)
- 2c. carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (4 medium)
- 1 1/2c. potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1 inch pieces (3 medium)
- 1c. cubed, peeled turnips (1 medium)
- 1/2c. coarsely chopped onion (1 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1t. dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2c. vegetable juice cocktail
- salt and pepper to taste
- snipped fresh chives or parsley
- Place flour in a pastic bag. Add meat, a few pieces at a time, shaking to coat.
- In a 4 or 6 qt. pressure cooker heat 1T. of the oil over medium heat.
- Cook meat, half at a time, till brown on all sides. Add more oil, if needed. Remove meat and set aside. Drain.
- Return all the meat to cooker and add celery, carrots, potatoes, turnips, onion, garlic, basil, thyme, bay leaf, and vegetable juice cocktail.
- Lock lid in place. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe. Over high heat, bring cooker up to pressure. Reduce heat just enough to maintain pressure and pressure regulator rocks gently; cook for 12 minutes.
- Allow pressure to come down naturally. Carefully remove lid.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with chives or parsley.
- Makes: 4 main dish servings.