Big Game Pot Roast
Source of Recipe
DRESSING & COOKING WILD GAME
Use the shoulder roast, rump roast, or bottom round from any big game for this classic pot roast.
List of Ingredients
- 1/3c. all purpose flour
- 1t. dried basil leaves
- 1/2t. dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2t. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2t. salt
- 1/4t. pepper
- 2 1/2-3lb. deer, antelope, elk, moose, or bear roast
- 3T. oil
- 1-10 1/2oz. can condensed French onion soup
- 1/2c. water, broth or wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4-6 med. carrots, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Heat oven to 350. In large plastic food storage bag, combine flour, basil, marjoram, thyme, salt, and pepper; shake to mix.
- Add meat; shake to coat.
- In Dutch oven, brown meat on both sides in oil.
- Add remaining flour mixture, soup, water and bay leaf.
- Heat to boiling. Remove from heat; cover.
- Bake for 1 1/2hours. Add rutabaga, carrots, and celery.
- Recover. Bake until meat and vegetables are tender.
- 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer. Discard bay leaf before serving.