Source of Recipe
List of Ingredients
1 (12.00 lbs) geese
1 head garlic, cut in half
1 small onion, cut in half
1 lemon, cut in half
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup marsala or other sweet wine
2 cups canned chicken broth
1 cup pitted prunes, halved
1. Place the oven rack in lowest position, and preheat your oven to 425f.
2. Trim and discard any excess fat around the goose's neck and cavity.
3. Rinse the bird with cool water.
4. Taking care not to cut the flesh, pierce the skin all over to help render fat as the bird cooks.
5. Place the garlic, onion and lemon halves in the cavity.
6. Tie the legs together to close the cavity.
7. Season the bird with the salt and pepper and place breast up in a roasting pan.
8. Place the neck next to the goose.
9. Roast the goose for 30 minutes, the remove excess fat, turn the goose to breast-side down; remove fat, but do not turn the bird.
10. This saved fat makes fantasic roasted veggies, and will keep in the fridge for quite a while.
11. Reduce the oven temp to 325f and cook the goose for a further 1 1/2 hours or until the temperature (taken in the thickest part of the leg) reaches 185f.
12. Remove the goose, tent loosely with foil, and allow to rest 20-30 minutes while you make the gravy.
13. Discard the neck.
14. Pour off any further excess fat, and place the pan on a burner over medium heat.
15. Add the wine, and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up any brow sticky bits.
16. Add the broth, and reduce to a thinish gravy consistency.
17. Add the prunes, cook for 5 minutes, or until the fruit has plumped up.
18. Check for seasonings and serve with the goose meat.
19. Discard the cavity filling.