SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Source of Recipe
A book called "My Mother's Southern Kitchen: recipes and Reminiscences... by, James Villas c. 1994
List of Ingredients
- 2 cups flour
- 4 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 1 cup buttermilk **using dry buttermilk mix is fine, just make it wet first
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Sift together flour, bkg powder, bkg soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Add the shortening and cut in with pastry cutter or 2 knives till the mixture is mealy or course looking crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and mix with a wooden spoon till the dough is soft, using more milk if necessary.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and, using a light touch, then the edges of the dough towards the middle, presisng with your hands.
- Press the dough out to a 1/4" thickness.
- Cut straight down with a floured biscuit cutter or a floured juice glass and place the biscuits 1/2 inch apart on a large gaking sheet.
- Gather up the scraps of dough and repeat process until gone.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until golden.
- Makes about 12 to 16 biscuits.