Source of Recipe
Pine To Prairie Cookbook (Volume II) Telephone Pioneers of America C.P. Wainman Chapter #18
Very soft and chewy cookies. ***Tip for the raisins. Bring water to boil in a sauce pan with the raisins in the water, then simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Drain. Raisins will be softer than normal in the cookies.
List of Ingredients
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup seedless raisins **(boiled in water, if desired)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream shortening, sugars and egg together. Blend well.
- Add raisins, mix well.
- Sift dry ingredients together. Add alternately with applesauce to creamed mixture. Mix together well.
- Drop by teaspoonful onto cookie sheets or stoneware.
- Bake in preheated 350 degrees oven for 12 to 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes for a crunchier cookie.
Makes about 4 or 5 dozen cookies. Cool on wire racks.