Baked Beets in Gingered Syrup
Source of Recipe
Original Source: Better Homes and Gardens (Revised for SWBM by emaxson) Make-Ahead Tip: Chill beets in syrup up to 24 hours. Serve cold or bring to room temperature
List of Ingredients
• 12 medium beets
• 2 cups cider vinegar
• 1 cup Splenda
• 2-ounce piece fresh ginger, peeled
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Wash and trim beets leaving root and 1 inch of stem intact. Place beets in a 3-quart casserole. Cover; bake in preheated oven for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until tender.
2. Meanwhile, for syrup, combine vinegar, sugar, and ginger in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard ginger. Cool syrup.
3. Remove beets from oven when done, and allow to cool slightly. Using paper towels, rub beets while still warm to remove skins. Trim stem and root ends. Halve or quarter beets, if desired, and toss in the prepared syrup.
4. Serve beets with a slotted spoon. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature. Makes 8 to 12 servings. (1/2 cup counts as a carb serving.)