Maque Choux (pronounced "mock shoe")
Source of Recipe
Country Living Nov. 2000
Spicy Cajun corn side dish.
List of Ingredients
- 12 ears fresh corn, or 9 c. frozen
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 1/2 c. diced yellow onion
- 3/4 c. diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 c diced green bell pepper
- 2 t. black pepper
- 1/4 t. ground red pepper
- 2 t. salt.
- Prepare the corn: Hold an ear of corn firmly with the bottom end placed on a cutting board or in a large bowl to keep the kernels from splattering. With a sharp knife, cut straight down the cob, cutting off only 2 or 3 rows at a time until all kernels are removed. Then, using the back of the knife blade, scrape down the cob to remove the corn "milk". Add this milk to the corn kernels in a large bowl. Repeat procedure with each of the remaining ears of corn. Set aside.
- Cook the Maque Choux: In a large pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Save bacon strips for another use (I add it to the corn). Leave bacon fat in bottom of pot. Cook onions and the red and green bell peppers in the bacon fat until soft--about 5 minutes. Add corn kernels and corn milk (and bacon if desired), the ground red and black pepper and salt. Cook over medium-low heat for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep the corn from sticking. Cover the pot, lower the heat, and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Serve warm.