PANDA EXPRESS ORANGE CHICKEN - reduced v
Source of Recipe
Healthy Units 5
Posted by "Beckyplay"
List of Ingredients
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, not packed
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tablespoon dry sherry, or rice vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
orange zest, from whole orange
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
3/4 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
1 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut in 1" pieces
1 teaspoon peanut oil
4-5 cups frozen broccoli, chopped
1. Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir often while bringing mixture to a boil. When sauce reaches a boil, remove it from heat and allow it to cool a bit, uncovered. (I added an additional 1/4 cup of water to stretch the sauce).
2. Slice chicken breasts into bite-size chunks. Remove a scant 1 cup of the marinade from the pan and pour it over the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag or other container which allows the chicken to be completely covered with the marinade. The chicken should marinate for at least a couple hours. Cover the remaining sauce and leave it to cool until the chicken is ready.
3. When chicken has marinated, preheat a non-stick skillet on high heat.
4. Put cornstarch in a small bowl, then add 3 tablespoons of water. Stir until cornstarch has dissolved. Pour this mixture into the sauce and set the pan over high heat. When sauce begins to bubble and thicken, cover and remove it from heat. (I used 3 tablespoons of cornstarch and added sufficient water (1/4 c roughly) to make the sauce an appropriate consistency.)
5. Remove chicken from marinade and brown over high heat in skillet sprayed with cooking spray and 1 tsp oil. Discard marinade. As the chicken cooks, reheat the sauce left covered on the stove. Stir occasionally.
6. When all of the chicken is done, add frozen broccoli and cover. Stir occasionally until broccoli is heated through - about 5 minutes. Cover with the thickened sauce. Stir gently until all of the pieces are well coated.
Serve over 1/2 cup rice for a 7 pt meal.
Nutritional Information without the Broccoli
Per Serving: 279 Calories; 3g Fat (8.5% calories from fat); 27g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 66mg Cholesterol; 464mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 3 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 2 Other Carbohydrates.